Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tyrant

Default Tyrant

The Tyrant is the embodiment of the wicked liege. It is found in at the heart of a well-protected lair - an abyssal cavern, a mountain stronghold, or in lean times a remote village - but always surrounded by terrified slaves, held in thrall through its lies, threats and endless manipulations.

Though it usually inserts itself through violence, the Tyrant's towering insecurity forces it to quickly consolidate its position through intimidation and manipulation, turning its victims against one another, and choosing favourites from the strongest, rewarding and punishing randomly.

Tyrants' long lives allow them to specialize in victimizing certain types of communities, and (perversely) use that knowledge to further the smooth functioning of affairs beyond their immediate circle. Indeed, the only outward sign that a Tyrant has arrived may be the sudden reclusiveness of the lord of the manor, an archaic turn of phrase in his correspondence, and strange new orders concerning irrigation.

Though not extraordinary sorcerers, Tyrants crave magical knowledge as a means of additional protection. They will move heaven and earth to learn new spells, resorting to abduction if necessary. A sorcerer who falls into the clutches of the Tyrant can look forward to agonizing years of torture and questioning.

Tyrant

Wi: G6 Pe: G6 Ag: B2 Sp: B4 Po: B6 Fo: B8 Hea: B9 Ref: B4 MW: B13
    Ste: G6 Hes: 2 Ref: B4 Hea: B9

PTGS Su:B5 Li:B9 Mi:B10 Se:B11 Tr:B12 MW:B13

Skills
    Stealthy B4 (6), Observation G6, Lunging Bite B5, Numbing Ray B6, Sorcery G4, Ugly Truth G4, Oratory G5, Intimidation G5, Read G4, Composition G5, Sorcerer-wise G4, Estate Management B5

Traits
    Massive Floating Sphere, Floats Silently, Faceted Carapace, Monstrous Eye, Eldritch Gaze, Eye Stalks, Night-Eyed, Numbing Rays, Lunging Jaws, Unsleeping, Dreadful, Gifted, Cruel, Insecure

Instincts

• Paralyze the mobile, bite the fallen.
    • Rule invisibly through my servants.
    • Keep any sorcerer in clear view at all times.

Beliefs

• Find a secure lair populated with servants I can manipulate. They shall be my hands.
    • Keep the servants off balance with conflicting orders.
    • Grant my personal guard the pick of the females. Urge them to such cruelty that they will not survive my downfall.

Massive Floating Sphere (Dt)
    An armless, legless sphere. Sprint multiplier 2x. The Tyrant's low agility does not count against it for purposes of incapacitation from injuries.

Floats Silently (C-O)
    The Tyrant glides above the ground in complete silence. Call-on for Stealth.

Faceted Carapace (Dt)
    The Tyrant's thick, scaly hide protects as plate mail.

Monstrous Eye (Dt)
    A midi wound delivered to the monstrous eye will injure the eye and force it closed. (It costs 2 successes to move a hit to the eye). The rubbery cartilage of the eye protects as leather armour.

Eldritch Gaze (Dt)
    Owing to an ancient pact, no magic or enchantment may operate under the gaze of the Tyrant's monstrous eye. Spellcastings and sustained spells fail harmlessly. Acts of Faith are unaffected.

Eye Stalks (Dt)
    Sinuous eye stalks (6-10 of them) emerge from the upper carapace of the Tyrant, allowing it to see in every direction. It costs 1 success to move a hit to the eye stalks. Each light wound to the eye stalks severs one. (They regrow at a rate of one per month.) As long as the Tyrant has three or more eye stalks, it may script Assess or Acquire as tandem actions.

Night-Eyed (Dt)
    Sees perfectly in total darkness; +1 Ob in bright light.

Numbing Rays (Dt)
    When it so wills, the gaze of the Tyrant's eye stalks numbs flesh and deadens the mind. The invisible rays leave no exterior wounds, nor do they cause bleeding, but cause tremendous nerve damage, causing painful tingling, lasting paralysis or organ failure.
    Fight!: Longest, Slow. R&C: 1D/2D, 100 paces. IMS 3/6/9, VA 4.

Lunging Jaws (Dt)
    When it bites, the Tyrant's upper and lower jaws are propelled forward by great bands of muscle. IMS 4/8/12, VA 2, Fast, Short.

Unsleeping (Dt)
    The Tyrant never sleeps, dispatching orders to its personal guard day and night. Woe to any sorcerer unlucky enough to be taken captive!
    Last edited by Fuseboy; 02-16-2010 at 12:51 PM.
    Michael Prescott - I'm making free adventures!

Super awesome!

Stormie, I expect a horde of these in our THAC0 game!

Also, the tandem action bennie of Numbing Rays should be part of the Eye Stalks trait.
    "Athos—Porthos, farewell till we meet again! Aramis, adieu forever!"
    --D'Artagnan

Check out my latest project:

Wow, I've been waiting for this for a long time.

How does targeting the Eldritch Gaze work--positioning test against the sorcerer?
    Daniel H.

Michael,

This is really well done! I love the way you have developed the creatures raison d'etre. Also I like the fact that you specifically omitted all sorts of lame fluff regarding the creature's origins etc.

Brilliant. Superpowerful and brilliant.

Sanj

Wow. I want this thing to kill my group, now.
    Patrick

Numbing Rays don't seem to numb the mind at all, unless you are referring to the physical damage it's doing. Explain?
    The thoughts and opinions reflected in my posts are not necessarily those of The Burning Wheel. If I am not quoting exact text and giving you a page for reference, please add "I BELIEVE" to the beginning of every single sentence I ever write ever.

Google+

It's just color for a nerve-frying death ray. It doesn't leave surface wounds, but leaves whatever it hits numbed and useless. If it hits you in the head, it's pretty mind-numbing!

Oh.. I guess I should probably specify that the wounds it causes don't bleed in that case!

Quote Originally Posted by Fuseboy View Post
    It's just color for a nerve-frying death ray. It doesn't leave surface wounds, but leaves whatever it hits numbed and useless. If it hits you in the head, it's pretty mind-numbing!

Oh.. I guess I should probably specify that the wounds it causes don't bleed in that case!
    What if you made the numbing rays work akin to the spell Lights of St. Andrew or Emperor's Hand?

You can actually model most of the various eye rays with spells. Here are some suggestions:
    Fire Ray = Fire Breath
    Fear Ray = The Fear
    Sleep Ray = Sarch's Glare
    Hold Ray = Choking Hand
    Petrifying Ray = Delirium Tremens
    Withering Ray = Parching Wind of the Burning Desert
    Death Ray = Abhorred Shears of Atropos

I corner him and stab him in the face!

Quote Originally Posted by wanderer View Post
    How does targeting the Eldritch Gaze work--positioning test against the sorcerer?
    Good question! I think it would depend on the circumstances. The tyrant has an instinct to face any apparent sorcerer, and given that it can send rays in any direction, that's fairly easy for it to do as long as it knows who to look at unless something forces it to do otherwise.

• Out of combat, use Stealthy against its Observation.
    • Confusing it about who the sorcerer is. Disguise your sorcerer, distract it (Disguise/Conspicuous) with a mock sorcerer (mundane distractions won't work, since it would look with its eye stalks), or conceal the sorcerer while others attack it from another angle.
    • In Range & Cover, succeeding at Stealthy Advance/Withdraw.
    • Successfully positioning against it in Fight! when its facing is somehow constrained (e.g. it's biting someone other than the sorcerer, it's in a partial Lock, or the sorcerer is On the Inside).

Quote Originally Posted by Thor View Post
    You can actually model most of the various eye rays with spells.
    I thought about that. When I was reflecting on what this creature was really about, it struck me that it was a sort of table-top boss monster - a baddie that has every kind of power-up, shooting green bullets, yellow lines and red lasers. Since it can cast spells regardless, I thought it better to simplify the eyes and focus on its relationship with its environment, its paranoia, etc.

But.. my love of Beholders comes from a few seconds of the old Dungeons & Dragons cartoon, I'm no purist!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast