Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Burning MoBu City

Quote Originally Posted by Steerpike View Post
    I don't disagree with any of this, though "white kid vs evil government" is not what I want. I was thinking more along the lines of Union organizing stuff, underground printing presses, scientists sleeping with bug headed artists, voting and the like.
    - Colin
    None of that actually involves direct connection to the ruling parties. To be clear: Burning Empires-style high-and-connected-to-the-mighty city and character burning will not do right by these settings. That's not to say that your characters shouldn't care about this stuff, of course.

Hell, look at the revolt in Iron Council. Look at how much of the emphasis was on who was involved, how they lived, how they communicated. Look at how little was on the tactical side, the negotiations, the high level stuff.
    -Devin

Quote Originally Posted by Z-Dog View Post
    Judd:

Sweet. Thank you.

Personally, I'd like to take this, add flintlocks and take it in a Warhammer's City of the White Wolf/Power Behind the Throne idea.
    Neat.

If you do, please just let me know how it goes.

That goes for anyone who uses it, I'd love to hear how it works at the table.
    Special Agent BWC517-MB108-BWR0077-BE000083-BWG000083

Githyanki Diaspora, my gaming blog

Quote Originally Posted by zabieru View Post
    None of that actually involves direct connection to the ruling parties. To be clear: Burning Empires-style high-and-connected-to-the-mighty city and character burning will not do right by these settings. That's not to say that your characters shouldn't care about this stuff, of course.
    I wasn't really advocating direct relationships or conflicts with the ruling parties or halls-o-power play, just beliefs connected to or pointing at rulers goals and agendas so that the players would start invested in what the rulers where doing to the city, not the rulers themselves. Kinda like for example the orc player who works at the foundry writes his change something belief to be about unionizing the orc laborers or something, and the factory he works at is owned by the merchant guild consortium who controls the council.

- Colin

Quote Originally Posted by Steerpike View Post
    I wasn't really advocating direct relationships or conflicts with the ruling parties or halls-o-power play, just beliefs connected to or pointing at rulers goals and agendas so that the players would start invested in what the rulers where doing to the city, not the rulers themselves. Kinda like for example the orc player who works at the foundry writes his change something belief to be about unionizing the orc laborers or something, and the factory he works at is owned by the merchant guild consortium who controls the council.

- Colin
    Colin, I think the events you are talking about can easily happen in MoBu City as it stands.

I think the HOW the law is enforced should be addressed. With maybe a thin veneer of WHAT the laws generally are. In order to really exist in a New Corubazon type setting, ya gotta know what the boundries are. And since we are in a certain social science fiction area here... with lots of races.... I think this needs to be burned up too.

So... The Law...

WHO enforces it? Mixed police force or one race of jannisarries to the Council?

Who controls the media (newspapers most likely)? The Council or enough competing newsies to get some kind of yellow journalism balance?

What is the Law's view towards violence? Can you walk down the street with a flintlock pistol and a sword? Or do you need a marque to carry? Or only certain classes? How does the Law deal with a riot?

Who votes? Do any of the factions have any LEGAL influence on the Council? (I think we can assume lots of normal cultural and illegal pressures)

What is Commerce? Is it mostly capitalism, enough competition to generate some idea of fair market prices? Or does graft and bribes seem totally normal? How is property handled and passed down? It is yours if you can hold it or the gov't really controls through zoning, permits etc?

I'm sure each major question can be expanded a bit... I'm just shooting these off from the top of my head.

I noticed Spiders are under "Rare".. which makes me think they should be contenders for the Shadow Council too. Maybe even the Council....
    Visual Storytelling
    http://www.StornArt.com

Quote Originally Posted by Storn View Post
    I think the HOW the law is enforced should be addressed. With maybe a thin veneer of WHAT the laws generally are. In order to really exist in a New Corubazon type setting, ya gotta know what the boundries are. And since we are in a certain social science fiction area here... with lots of races.... I think this needs to be burned up too.

So... The Law...

WHO enforces it? Mixed police force or one race of jannisarries to the Council?

Who controls the media (newspapers most likely)? The Council or enough competing newsies to get some kind of yellow journalism balance?

What is the Law's view towards violence? Can you walk down the street with a flintlock pistol and a sword? Or do you need a marque to carry? Or only certain classes? How does the Law deal with a riot?

Who votes? Do any of the factions have any LEGAL influence on the Council? (I think we can assume lots of normal cultural and illegal pressures)

What is Commerce? Is it mostly capitalism, enough competition to generate some idea of fair market prices? Or does graft and bribes seem totally normal? How is property handled and passed down? It is yours if you can hold it or the gov't really controls through zoning, permits etc?
    These are good places to start. After the city-burning there is a discussion, mentioned in the above text, I think I'll have some questions that the will want to answer or at least think about during the talk.

Good stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Storn View Post
    I noticed Spiders are under "Rare".. which makes me think they should be contenders for the Shadow Council too. Maybe even the Council....
    Spider lifepaths are in all three types of lifepaths. There not being any arachnid influences in any of the ruling sectors of the city is a pretty huge oversight that I will change once I have a moment.

Thanks for the comments.

You could, based on TBAF format, do different "tier" settings. One for the gutters, one for the freelancers/agents (special tasks/jobs in the middle), or "middle class" - like the main protagonist from Perdido street Station -, one for the movers & shakers (like in Gormenghast).

Hope that helps, Paka.

G

You could also do, as per The Blossoms are Falling, different "tier" settings: one for the gutterpunks, one for the 'middle class' (freelancers/agents), like Perdido Street Station's main protagonist, & one for the movers & shakers (like in Gormenghast).

Hope that helps, Paka.

G

This is awesome, Judd. I love it!

I am running a Burning Wheel urban campaign for two players. Except I'm not running it at the moment, because it withered away after half a dozen sessions.

Part of that was non-gaming stuff, as usual, but part of it was that our city concept, as cool as it was, never tied in well to our characters and what they were up to.

We've been looking for something to get our spark fired up again, and this thread is great. We'll burn the city properly, and put a coat of Mieville on it.

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by BWA View Post
    We've been looking for something to get our spark fired up again, and this thread is great. We'll burn the city properly, and put a coat of Mieville on it.
    Fantastic, please let me know how it goes.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast