Thread: Burning Laputa

Default Burning Laputa

Setting Background: Earth is a water world where nearly all land consists of floating islands that float for reasons that cannot be established even with -wises, and where airship construction is easier than it should be for those same reasons. The Namorians have an influential culture which has swallowed up several nations already. They are coming, and our story takes place on a group of about 10 small Islands, each individually sovereign, that are directly in the path of the expanding juggernaught.

Cast of Characters, burned using pauld's excellent online character burner, with BITs from emails and not necessarily the final version:

Name: Jays
    Concept/Bio: A member of the Laputan Noble Family who never really had time for Court and learned to create instead. The coming assimilation has shaken him from his lassitude.
    Lifepaths: Born Noble, Lead to City Dweller, Apprentice (City), Journeyman (City), Master Craftsman (City)
    Beliefs:
    -Laputa must make it through the coming Namorian assimilation on top. Only I have the vision to see us through, and my rise to power starts with inserting myself back into our Court
    -The High Order is the Islands' best bet to deal with the Namorians. Iain assures me the first step to putting them in charge is dealing with Wulf and Crom
    -Ladislas has no sense of serious government. I will help Zarag remove him from consideration
    Instincts:
    -Never walk away from an argument
    -Bribe first, talk later.
    -Always leave a weak point in airships I fix up.
    Traits: Mark of Privilege, Broken In, Made Man, Ambitious, Back Breaking Labor, Charismatic, Proud

Name: Jarok the Traitor
    Concept/Bio: Third son of the noble family on the island nation of Laputa. Evicted from the High Order of Sorcery after an accusation of betrayal. Currently a Rouge Sorcerer in the employment of the Laputa noble family.
    Lifepaths: Born Noble, Arcane Devotee, Lead to Noble Court, Court Sorcerer, Lead to Outcast, Rogue Wizard
    Beliefs:
    -Laputa must be protected at all costs by exposing Iain, Wulf, and Crom
    -I will have Power and ally myself with whoever can provide it
    -Belief 3 [pretty sure this turned into something like "don't let Damasa throw Laputa into war]
    Instincts:
    -Over use Ugly Truth
    -Always blend in environment
    -Always have staff on person
    Traits: Mark of Privilege, Base Humility, Inscrutable, Spooky, Gifted,
    Order Savvy, Grudgekeeper

Name: Zarag
    Concept/Bio: Zarag is the main doctor for the nobles of Laputa. To help ensure that a strong leader is in charge when the Namorian conflict begins, he will help weed out the weaker nobles from the line of succession. Complications during surgery turns out to be a leading cause of death in Laputa, or at least it will become one.
    Lifepaths: Born Noble, Lead to Noble Court, Torturer, Student (Noble Court), Court Doctor
    Beliefs:
    -Make sure that there is a strong leader in charge of Laputa to handle negotiations with the Namorians, Ladislas is weak and must be removed.
    -Belief 2
    -Belief 3
    Instincts:
    -Always hide in the shadows
    -Always have a scalpel
    -Instinct 3
    Traits: Mark of Privilege, Unsavory Madman, Incomprehensible Diagnosis, Proud

Name: Lasin, Chaplain to the Court
    Concept/Bio: Religious Duelist
    Lifepaths: Born Noble, Religious Acolyte, Lead to Religious, Priest, Lead to Noble Court, Chaplain (Noble Court)
    Beliefs:
    -The Namorian religion is one of idolatry and corruption. I will meet with the local missionaries and determine who can be saved amongst them.
    -Damasa, takes the teachings to excess. I will temper his rash outbursts be seeing him sent away from the court
    -The order is seeking to use the conflict as a means to gain more power. Keep them in their place
    Instincts:
    -The Staff and Bow are the tools of my station. Keep them safe, keep them near.
    -Always perform the rituals before a duel (ritual linked faith test)
    -Keep an ear out for when my services might be required.
    Traits: Mark of Privilege, Tonsured, Vested, Faithful [, Grudgekeeper]

Name: Ava
    Concept/Bio: Noble court lady with marital designs
    Lifepaths: Born Noble, Young Lady (Noble), Lady, Lead to Noble Court, Courtier
    Beliefs:
    -Laputa can be the strongest of the ten islands with my help and should have the most influence after the take over. I will put myself in a better position of influence by seducing Ladislas
    -A merge between Vaness and Laputa is not in Laputa or my best interest. I will "convince" Validis to stop pushing the merge.
    -The best way to gain power is to take advantage of your strengths and others weakness. I will finish my discussion with Lasin on how to best utilize the religious difference to attain more influence for Laputa
    Instincts:
    -Always listen for my name to be spoken by someone else
    -Never go to an event without being properly dressed
    -TBD
    Traits: Mark of Privilege, Rapier Wit, Charming, Scheming, Proud
    By reading this you agree on behalf of your employer to release me from all obligations and waivers arising from any NON-NEGOTIATED agreements, licenses, terms-of-service, shrinkwrap, clickwrap, browsewrap, confidentiality, non-disclosure, non-compete and acceptable use policies that I have entered into with your employer, its partners, licensors, agents and assigns, in perpetuity, without prejudice to my ongoing rights and privileges. You further represent that you have the authority to do so.

First Session
    =============

Validis, the second son of the King of Laputa and married heir to the throne of the neighboring island of Vaness, has just arrived on Laputa for a visit and is throwing a party. He wants to convince Ladislas, first son of the King, in line for the throne of Laputa, and generally incompetent, to marry his half-sister Alp. [at this point we spend some time going over wth is related to who, in line for which thrones, etc] Jays and Ava get Ladislas to see Ava rather than Alp (unsuccessful untrained Etiquette, successful Seduction?), and Ava will wake up the next day in Ladislas' mansion.

Also during the party, Damasa, the de facto religious leader of Laputa, is riling up a group of young nobles to side with his pro-war-with-Namor sentiments and . Lasin tries to keep their passions in check but Damasa has too much experience. They are now pro-war (failed Suasion).

Zarag brush passes the Namorian missionary to Laputa [not sure of his name, I'll call him Patrick for now] and procures entry to his home in the form of a key (successful Sleight of Hand).

Iain, one of the sorcerers who framed Jarok, is Validis' personal wizard. Jarok eavesdrops on him during the party but is noticed (failed Inconspicuous) and is berated in front of everyone for skulking around. Lasin, who is Jarok's brother, gets in a bit of witty reparte at this point.

Jarok discovers that throughout the whole of Laputa there is only one sorcerer who knows Mask, and it is Crom, one of the three who framed him (failed Circles). They meet, Jarok threatens Crom, and Crom agrees to teach him Mask - "Meet me tomorrow at such and such a place at such and such a time." [ooc and ic, obviously setting up an ambush]

The impressionable young nobles have taken it upon themselves to decide that killing the King is a much better path to war with Namor, since the King is decidedly pro-peace (failed Rumor-wise). Damasa, Lasin, and several PCs go to convince their leader that this is a terrible plan, and Damasa is the one who actually manages it (failed vs Suasion test). [we decided convincing him was not the interesting part, it was who managed it, so Damasa and Lasin continued their dominance struggle - incidentally, NPCs do not get the same physics applied to them that PCs do ]

Jarok and Ava warn the King about the plot and get a slew of guards to go arrest the nobles. [there was talk about a falsehood test to implicate Crom but I don't recall whether it occurred]

Zarag infiltrates Patrick's dwelling and makes out with evidence that can be construed to point toward an impending Namorian military invasion, given sufficient spin and/or removing of cover pages (successful Stealthy).

Jays and Ava accompany the young noble leader to a meeting with the rest of the nobles, and gets them to help persuade the leader that his first instincts were correct - the King must die (successful Persuasion). [this was against the Let it Ride Suasion successes] They will meet up with a powerful sorcerer who will help them take down the King. [Crom]

Crom's ambush, the young nobles, and the King's guards all meet and the guards arrest everyone involved. The nobles spill everything they know and both Jays and Ava are in the cells as well.

Jarok and Crom have a discussion about teaching spells, getting out of prison alive, and confessing to various framings. Nothing comes of it (DoW 0-0, no accepted compromises). [but Jarok did script an Obfuscate: "CROM!"]

Notes
    =====

Zarag was not well represented. I think this may be due to focus on the Crom/nobles/guards shenanigans, and we didn't insert Zarag into it, rather than any deeper issue but we'll find out next session. On the other hand the first draft is missing the most BITs and I don't remember what they became, so maybe we just need to discuss what they are more before next play.

No Faith or Sorcery rolls at all, though plenty of play around faith and sorcery.

The final Duel of Wits where neither side could come to a compromise was a travesty. Don't let this happen, everyone not explicitly participating should heckle until both sides get "screwed" by a 0-0 result.

Everyone yelled "CROM!" a lot.
    By reading this you agree on behalf of your employer to release me from all obligations and waivers arising from any NON-NEGOTIATED agreements, licenses, terms-of-service, shrinkwrap, clickwrap, browsewrap, confidentiality, non-disclosure, non-compete and acceptable use policies that I have entered into with your employer, its partners, licensors, agents and assigns, in perpetuity, without prejudice to my ongoing rights and privileges. You further represent that you have the authority to do so.

Very cool! Thanks for sharing. I liked the sleight of hand for trying to get the key, mostly thinking of what cool stuff I would have given the players had they failed. "You quickly take a bag from the missionaries' pocket, only to find out its filled with medicines/jewels." Or something.

Though, as a native speaker of Spanish, I couldn't help but giggle every time I read Laputa. :P

I am assured that this and this are what should come to mind, but the assurances have only a small effect on the facts...

Cool! I didn't get the reference, now that I've read some of those links it does help piece things together. Thanks.

I must add I've had my fair share of language issues while GM'ing. Given my group usually plays in a mix of both English/Spanish. Some names that sound perfectly fine in one language just turn out funny in the other.

Like in a CoC campaign where we met this exotic book dealer form Turkey, last name Kemal, which in Spanish, sounds like "Que mal", which means "Too bad"/"that's too bad". So every time the guy comes to us with a problem we can't help but make puns with his name. Which kinda destroys the horror mood, but what can you do

But back on track, when can we expect an update?