Thread: Burning Wheel Shk-Pvr

Default Burning Wheel Shk-Pvr

With a lot of help and advise from Angaros, I have been putting together the lifepaths and some of the modifications to use Burning Wheel's magic system with the HrnWorld's Shk-Pvr setting.

Shk-Pvr Sub-Settings*

Lifepath
    Hanmavr (Unbound Apprentice)
    Time: 2 yrs Res: 5 Stat: - Leads: Peasant, Villager, City, Outcast, Serv.
    Skills: 4 pts: Read, Write, Mending, Pvric-wise
    Traits: 2 pts: Gifted, Extremely Respectful of Ones Betters

Mavr (bound Apprentice)
    Time: 6 yrs Res: 8 Stat: +1 M Leads: Peasant, Villager, City, Outcast, Serv.
    Skills: 5 pts: Sorcery, Symbolisation, Research, Appropriate Mundane Skills
    Traits: 1 pts: Convocational Attunement
    Notes: This lifepath requires Hanmavr.

Sata Mavr (Senior Apprentice)
    Time: 1 yrs Res: 12 Stat: +1 M Leads: Peasant, Villager, City, Outcast
    Skills: 3 pts: General; 2 pts: Research
    Traits: 1 pts: -
    Notes: This lifepath requires Mavr.

Shenva (Journeyman)
    Time: 10 yrs Res: 32 Stat: +1 M Leads: Villager, City, Outcast, Court
    Skills: 7 pts: Enchanting, Calligraphy
    Notes: This lifepath requires Sata Mavr.

Vrn (Master)
    Time: 15 yrs Res: 32 Stat: +1 M Leads: Villager, City, Outcast, Court
    Skills: 7 pts: Ancient and Obscure History
    Notes: This lifepath requires Shenva.

Grey Mage
    Time: 15 yrs Res: 32 Stat: +1 M Leads: Villager, City, Outcast
    Skills: 6 pts: Ancient and Obscure History
    Traits: 1 pts: Loss of Convocational Attunement
    Notes: This lifepath requires Vrn.

*Except for the Grey Mage Lifepath, all of these lifepaths are considered separate sub-settings for each convocation.

Symbolisation
    Each convocation has developed their own system of symbols over the centuries, which are only taught to mages of the same convocation or a Grey Mage. These symbol sets can only be used for basic spells. To record spells of more complexity, the mage begins to create their own symbols, which is considered a personal dialect.

Lyhvi: Anta-Kri
    Plehn: Maysi
    Jmrvi: Anta-rdic
    Fvria: Krotnish
    Odvsh: Vastinish
    Svrya: Chanrian

Appropriate Mundane Skills
    Lyhvi: Sleight of Hand, Lapidary
    Plehn: Knives, Sword, Axe, Polearm, Bow, Sling, Flail Training
    Jmrvi: Lockcraft, Mason, Smithcraft, Armourer, Weaponsmith
    Fvria: Farming, Animal Husbandry, Carpentry, Herbalism, Anatomy, Surgery, Midwifery, Tree Cutting, Field Dressing
    Odvsh: Seamanship, Swim Training, Pilot
    Svrya: Illuminations, Geometry Training, Accounting, Tarotry (This is the same as the Dwarven Art of Rune Casting only using the cards of the Tarot)
    Any/All: Acting, Alchemy, Astrology, Musical Instrument, Music Composition

Convocations:
    Lyhvi (Principles: Light, Illusion, Etherealness; Hue: Red; Element: Air)
    Actions 5. Resource point cost: 13

Plehn (Principles: Heat, Energy, Dryness; Hue: Orange; Element: Air)
    Actions 3. Resource point cost: 10

Jmrvi (Principles: Metallic, Mineral, Artifice; Hue: Yellow; Element: Metal)
    Actions 20. Resource point cost: 12

Fvria (Principles: Life, Death, Growth, Decay; Hue: Green; Element: Earth)
    Actions 8. Resource point cost: 9

Odvsh (Principles: Cold, Darkness, Ice, Moisture; Hue: Blue; Element: Water)
    Actions 10. Resource point cost: 8

Svrya (Principles: Knowledge, Mind, Meaning; Hue: Violet; Element: Spirit)
    Actions 2. Resource point cost: 9

Grey
    Obstacle 4, Action 6. Resource point Cost: 7

Convocational Obstacles*
    The Obstacle for creating and casting spells is based on the mages relationships with the convocations and not the convocations themselves. This is determined when the mavr takes the Convocational Attunement trait. These Obstacles are in place until the Vrn undergoes the Metamorphosis to become a Grey Mage. At that point, the Convocation Attunement is lost, and for the purposes of casting or inventing spells, he treats all spells as neutral.

Primary Convocation
    Obstacle 1
    Secondary Convocation
    Obstacle 3
    Tertiary Convocation
    Obstacle 5
    Diametric Convocation
    Obstacle 7

* The casting obstacle for Fvria spells is modified by the target stat of the creature or character being affected. Basically, the target stat is rolled, and the number of successes rolled is added to the Convocational Obstacle. Fvria cannot be used with the Create Impetus. You cannot create life.

I have more matterial that has to do with hrnic modifications to the Abstraction rules, which I will post here later. I still need more ideas for more skills and traits, if anyone is interested in this project.

All of this information has been taken from HrnMaster Golds Shk-Pvr supplement, which is the sole property of N. Robin Crossby. For more detailed explanations of the terms used in this post, I recommend referring to this publication, which can be found for sale at Kelstia.com.
    Tony Hamilton

Horror has a face... and you must make a friend of horror. Horror and moral terror are your friends. If they are not then they are enemies to be feared. They are truly enemies.

One minor revision that I already need to make is to that last paragraph:
    * The casting obstacle for Fvria spells is determined by the target stat of the creature or character being affected, but it is also modified by the casters relationship with the Fvria convocation. There is no penalty if Fvria is the casters Primary convocation, +1 Ob for Secondary or Grey, +2 Ob for Tertiary, and +3 Ob for Diametric convocation. Also, as with the Anima rules, the Fvrian element and the Create impetus cannot be combined to create an entirely new and independent life of any kind.
    Tony Hamilton

Horror has a face... and you must make a friend of horror. Horror and moral terror are your friends. If they are not then they are enemies to be feared. They are truly enemies.

Good work Tony. The only changes I'd like to see are:

* Less skill points for Satia-Mavar. It's a one year LP and even if it's a busy year five points are too much.

* Either list more skills, less points, or general points instead of ordinary points for the higher level LPs. 6 sp and only 1 skill tells me they don't do anything else during a 10 year period which isn't really the case. If you give them general points instead you merely state that they can do whatever they want with their time.

The resource points are really high, but that's because facets and spells cost a lot. I was never too comfortable with buying spells and facets for rp, but I don't have a better solution.

( You already know my position Tony, but I wanted to post it here anyway. )
    Jocke Andersson
    BWC.357 -- BWR.056

Thanks, Jocke; I really appreciate all the help you've given me on this little project.

I left room for more wises-skills that I haven't thought of yet, and I wanted to make sure there were enough points for the different impeti and the occasional non-primary convocation.

The whole idea of Sorcery, Will, Convocations, and Impeti and how they all work together need a lot more work, but I've at least got a start on the project.
    Tony Hamilton