Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: BW Forums Breached

Quote Originally Posted by noclue View Post
    What's HAM?
    Ham as in "not spam" as deemed by Akismet (a spam filter from WordPress). This is just one of three automated defenses at work.
    Also: ninjas.

Quote Originally Posted by luke View Post
    It breaks my heart to say this friends, but I believe this heralds the end.
    Our forums have been under assault and we cannot adequately protect them.
    We will begin the process of sunsetting the forums and the wiki soon.
    Thanks for your support over the years!
    -Luke
    Well that's The Suk!

Thanks for game over the years.
    .dwight

I'm sorry to here that you are closing the forums. Where do you envission that the discussions about your games will move? I think that if this means that we loose a place to talk that is frequented by the developers of the game (and findable from the webpage) it will be a huge loss for the game.

I'm hoping that wherever the discussion ends up moving it will manage to attract a large enough subset of the current community to keep it alive.

Best wishes lijat

That's too bad, I truly enjoy the forum and have learned a lot from it over the years.

It's an understandable decision under the circumstances, but still a sad one. Best wishes to the BWHQ crew and I look forward to following you to your new online home, wherever that is.

Personally, I am less concerned with the breach than the loss of the forums. Breaches happen, they are a fact of life on the internet which is why everyone is told not to re-use passwords. The loss of years of accumulated knowledge on how to get the most out of the game, however, is a disaster to anyone who loves this game and wants to get the most from it.

I understand the time and effort involved in attempting to keep a major discussion group up, secure and spam-free, so I can understand the desire not to deal with the fight anymore, but I would second the call to find a way to at least preserve what is here for future reference.

I feel that the game would be as much the worse for the loss of this accumulated wisdom as it is for the loss of a ready means to discuss it with others. There are other venues where the ongoing discussion may continue, but I know of no others with such a concentrated amount of information as a reference.

Just my two cents!

I don't think that sunsetting the forums necessarily means nuking the content. The best stuff from here is already distilled in the Codex. I imagine the content here will be archived somehow, and the G+ Community, BW subreddit, and BW Slack group will be the hubs of ongoing conversation.

Quote Originally Posted by Shaun View Post
    The best stuff from here is already distilled in the Codex.
    The best, possibly, but nowhere near enough. There's a truly staggering wealth of knowledge on these forums, the loss of which would be an immense blow to players of BWHQ's games. Anecdotal, I know, but even after playing Burning Wheel for a decade, my groups still run into questions that make us resort to forums searches for definitive answers.

If preserving the forums and wiki in a read-only fashion is a matter of resources, I can speak for five players who would all gladly contribute to a Kickstarter or something of that nature to see it happen.

Hey all, there's a new paste going around, but the data is old. It's actually a slight bit older than the breach I mentioned in the first post here (circa Nov 2016 vs Jan 2017).
    Also: ninjas.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12