Page 1 of 19 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Charred: An Unofficial Online BWG Character Burner

Default Charred: An Unofficial Online BWG Character Burner

Hey all,

For those interested, I've created an online Burning Wheel Gold character burner called Charred:

http://charred.herokuapp.com

The salient features are:

1. Character files can be saved to the user's local computer, and later loaded. Useful for showing a character to someone else.
    2. Can generate a simple PDF character sheet.
    3. Allows Gear selection from the gear lists.
    4. Random name generation (albeit somewhat cheesy).

Let me know what you think, and if you find any bugs.

Fantastic!

What are, however, the legalities of essentially publishing the lifepath system?

ken
    Kill things. Break stuff. Repeat as necessary.

Quote Originally Posted by NkEnNy View Post
    Fantastic!

What are, however, the legalities of essentially publishing the lifepath system?

ken
    That's a good question. I'd emailed Luke about it but never got a response. If there are any copyright issues raised, I can take Charred offline and address them as needed.

I really like your layout. Its good, clean, and intuitive. Edit: I'm blind. Found it. I'm sure you are already looking into improving it in the future, but the resource layout could really do to be expanded with affiliation, relationships, and fame. Likewise, being able to know the trait-point cost before selecting one would be a much appreciated feature.

On the topic of legality. There used to be an online character creation tool which was accessible only if you could answer questions from the BWR(revised) booklet.

ken
    Last edited by NkEnNy; 07-17-2014 at 01:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by NkEnNy View Post
    I really like your layout. Its good, clean, and intuitive. Edit: I'm blind. Found it. I'm sure you are already looking into improving it in the future, but the resource layout could really do to be expanded with affiliation, relationships, and fame. Likewise, being able to know the trait-point cost before selecting one would be a much appreciated feature.

On the topic of legality. There used to be an online character creation tool which was accessible only if you could answer questions from the BWR(revised) booklet.
    Showing the trait point costs is a good idea.

I remember that question-and-answer authentication. I'd brought it up to a few people and they figured it's probably not necessary at this point. If problems do come up, though, I'm not against implementing that.

Excellent wok, this will make first sessions much smoother. Especially if we've been recruiting

EDIT: If you need any grunt work help, please do ask ;P My coding is 12 years outdated and bad to begin with though.
    Last edited by OlavBB; 07-17-2014 at 04:43 PM.
    "One does not simply LiR into Mordor" - Durand Durand

I second the notion of Gruntwork: Depending on the construction of your databases, if you need proof reading, I work nightshifts this weekend. I can easily pull a few hours looking through your Lifepaths. (alternatively, type up Trait descriptions) Knowing that OlavBB is working with me, I volunteer him as well. *ducks*

-k

I just did a cursory inspection and it looks fantastic!

Get permission from Luke and BWHQ, though

Good job!
    - Eloy

“Only in silence the word, only in dark the light, only in dying life: bright the hawk's flight on the empty sky.”
    ― Ursula K. Le Guin, A Wizard of Earthsea

Thanks guys!

As for the offer of help, I think writing out the skill and trait descriptions would be a great benefit. If people were interested in doing a few at a time I could compile them together.

I'll come up with a simple format for them.

If you have a usable format in some 20 odd hours, you'll have two goons churning out the text you need

Ahh, I knew this University education would get me going places.

Page 1 of 19 1234511 ... LastLast