Knock Him Out!
From Burning Wiki
From a discussion on the forum titled How do you knock people out?
Here's Suicide King's elegant solution:
I think what I'd do was just to make a bloody versus test... The player states his goal (knock him out, but don't kill him, before he can call the guards) and you as gm states the risk (if you fail, he will call the guards and you will be going into a Fight! with him). If the player can stealth close and the guy hestitates, the Ob would be 1. If the player fails his stealth, the guard does not hestitate, it should be a versus test, pitting fighting skills against fighting skills.
If you don't have the drop on a guard, it should be nigh-impossible to silence him before he calls others. That's what they are there for, after all. Force your players to bid for initiative and take him out with the first hit, if they don't stealth and want to prevent him from shouting.
- the guard is knocked out before he can raise the alarm.
- he yells, shouts and otherwise alerts his buddies, plus the character is now in Fight! with him.
- Successful Stealth close on the guard.
- If the guard hesitates, player tests his character's fighting skill vs Ob 1.
- If the guard doesn't hesitate, Bloody Versus: test character's vs the guard's fighting skill.