Hear Ye the Prayers Howling on the Wind
From Burning Wiki
In a Byzantine culture of Yaroska, ruled by an aloof Tsar, the One God who stands for order has fallen lax. Avatars of new gods have bubbled up across the land. These 'New' Gods are siphoning worshippers as the religious balance sways. Pilgrimages to the holy island of Youkali have increased as the people of the world question their beliefs and look for answers.
On the Eastern border of this land sits a vast mountain range Dral’skiye Gory through which Rugbolach Pass is only way to connect the realm to the lands of the east. The pass is ruled by the noble Boyer Maloch Tovarovich Dyadin from his seat in he fortress city Ishevska. The pass has been invaded by multiple religious prophets declaring the existence of new gods, Yosium the Chaotic One, Seyvan the Wise, Intra the Fertile and the Dark One. These prophets are searching for something in the pass, and vying for control of the pass.
The group discovered a connection between the heretics and the orcs raiding villages near the mountains. The Boyar raised an army to squelch the orcs, and elevated the mercenary captain of the Bearclaws to a Knight, charging him with getting behind enemy lines and drawing the orcs full attention so they could mount an assault. The Bearclaws travelled deep in the mountains, combatting orcs at every turn, landing a devestating blow to their dark enemies which forced the orcs to retreat from human border and regroup.
The story focuses on four characters, tied to various factions through blood, oaths and money. Nikolai Malocovich, the Boyer's Catamite Bastard son, wants power and recognition. Voislav Drozdovich, faithful instrument of the One God, wishes find the truth behind the cults to rid the land of those who would oppose his god. Kira Mogilschik, who wishes to bring Gods dominion back to the land. And Lomov Longtooth, who wishes to bring the bearclaws to a place of glory. The Bearclaws were a mercenary group led by a merciless Captain Stanislav, but when the Captain was sworn to Knighthood by the Boyer during a campaign against marauding Orcs, the mercenaries crossed into the realm of paid soldiers.
The central characters began on a mission to assassinate a noble emissary with ties to the prophet Yosium. After doing so, they managed to lead the orcs into the human mines, cross Masha, the prophet of Yosium, and force Rugbolach Pass into turmoil, fighting a military campaign against the orcs which allowed Masha to spread her prophecies across the pass. The central characters were rejected from all walks of life, and joined the Bearclaws in their attempt to right their wrongs and push the orcs back into the mountains. In this, they were successful, but they returned to a destitute Ishevska, where Masha's people have gained a strong foothold.
Since returning, the Boyer has ordered Sir Stanislav and his Bearclaws to 'keep the peace' acting as riot patrols in the city proper. Meanwhile, the central characters are pursuing their own agendas.
Lomov has been trying to secure a better contract with the Boyer, but due to an uncouth outburst has been banned from the Boyer's presence. He has also been working to frame his father, who is a loyal servant of the Boyer. In doing so, Lomov has come to see the wisdom in Yosium's chaotic ways, and has agreed to pray to the New God.
Kira, in love with Stanislav, has been trying to find the secret to a new appearance. In a pact with Nikolai's priest Uncle Emil, has agreed to garner a map of Youkali for Emil, in exchange for research on such magic. Once the map has been delivered, Kira has agreed to abandon her disguise and Emil has agreed to teach his boy lover useful skills.
Nikolai's agenda is tied to his family and his lover, both of which are being manipulated by Masha, prophetess of Yosium. Masha has foreseen Nikolai delivering his father to her, and to speed the process along, has given Nikolai strong persuasive magic. She has also forced Nikolai's hand by capturing his lover, Pyotr, and twisting Pyotr's mind to loving women more than Nikolai. Nikolai's father has agreed to give Nikolai his name, but only after Nikolai has played out a ruse to infiltrate the Lucidovich family and get evidence against them or kill them all.
- Nikolai Malochovich - Catamite Bastard Neophyte Sorcerer
- Kira Mogilschik "Gravedigger" Aka Kiril - Feminist War Wizard
- Voislav Drozdovich - Faithful Son of the Order
- Lomov "Longtooth" - Veteran of the Band of the Bearclaws
(LP: Born Noble, Bastard, Arcane Devotee, Ganymede)
- My brother is unfit to rule, I will prove it so I can take his place.
(original) I will become such a power in this city that my father will embrace me.
- Kira is more than a little crazy if she believes Stanislav will love her manyly guise. I will get her to embrace her womanhood and assist her in the pursuit of love.
(original) The path from gutter to greatness lies in spells. I will let nothing stop me from getting the cultists' spells.
- Pyotr is the center of my universe and Masha knows it. To end her manipulating torments I must get my father into her presence as soon as possible. (original) Religion is a farce. It will be a joy to tear it down from the inside.
- Always draw my sword at the first sign of trouble.
- Whenever anyone crosses me, assert my social status.
- Always have the last word.
Traits: Char: Base Humility, Catamite, Dogmatic, Power Hungry Die: Mark of Privilege, Bastard, Gifted, Practiced Precision (Spinning Balls) C-O: Charismatic (Persuasion), Poised (Etiquette, vs. Insight, Obfuscate)
(LP: Born Peasant, Gravedigger, Neophyte Sorcerer, War Wizard)
- Only in the one god can justice come to be in the world of man - I will seek Masha and Yossium's followers and show them God's power.
- The bearclaws will become an instrument of God's justice - I will root out the infidels by capturing their leader.
- I owe everything to Stanislav - I will convince the Bouyar to install him as Rugbolach Pass's military leader.
- If Stanislav is to love me I must transform my uncomely visage – I will retrieve the map from the cave of the Gods so Father Emil will help me.
- Never let them know my sex.
- Always cast Eldrich Shield before facing a mage.
- Always call out foul play by citing holy lore.
Traits: Char: Superstitious, Arrogant, Rugged, A Little Crazy, Denouncer, Cross-dresser Die: Gifted, Cold hearted, Loyal, Believer C-O: Driven, Fortitude
Relationships: Stanislav Company Captain (Romantic interest)
(LP: Born Peasant, Bannerman, Village Pilgrim, Religious Military Order)
- I will win glory in the orc caves so that I may be worth of Nezhka's hand.
- As the instrument of God, I will incite holy war against Yosium and his siblings.
- I must atone for the death of the believers. As chaplain, I will rebuild the Bearclaws with acts of Faith.
- Pray before battle.
- Ready mace when surprised.
- Preach Gods word when confronted with wickedness.
Traits: Char: Collector, Disciplined, Starry-eyed, Superstitious Die: Faithful C-O: Inspirational (Oratory, Command), Stubborn (+2D DoW)
(LP: Born Below, Initiate, Guardian, Murderer)
- I must protect my children by killing off the destructive Orcs who would flay them for their own enjoyment.
- Clearing the fields will require assistance; I must find allies among the fractious gods to help thin the human flock.
- Human peace is a threat to the Society, so I must stop these ambassadors in their tracks.
- Knives out at the first sign of trouble.
- Start fights in aggressive stance.
- Always attack men who are easy targets who aren't helping me kill other men.
Traits: Char: Aecer’s Likeness, Communal, Tail, Pack Rat, Merciless, Murderous, Die: Elarged Incisors, Quick-Blooded, Large Ears, Skittish, Tunnel Vision, Broken, Cold-Hearted, C-O: Coat of Fur, Single-Minded
Relationships: Father Inquisitor Vladamir Yakovovich Sonichka(Forbidden)
(LP: City Born, Smuggler, Freebooter, Veteran)
- The Band of the Bearclaws need more money, I will secure a better contract directly from the Boyer.
- Magic is unpredictable and creepy. I will kill sorcerors who are not on my side.
- My father is a dispicable man with too much power, I will frame him for a crime against the bearclaws.
- If a fight breaks out, have a weapon ready.
- Never let them see me steal and deal.
- Always discipline the bearclaws.
Traits: Char: Paranoid, Stubborn Die: Cold-Blooded C-O: Nimble, Fleet Footed