From Burning Wiki
This is where I'll be developing the Goblin Stock.
Sellers of Stuff! The rich, ruling class, because they can afford to have the most stuff.
Lifepath Time Res Stat Leads Born Merchant 6 yrs 10 — Machers, Movers, Toilers, Pariah Skills: 3 pts: General; 2 pts: Mark-Kraft
Traits: 2 pts: Mark of Merit
Underling 4 yrs 5 — Movers, Toilers, Pariah Skills: 4 pts: Etiquette, Merchant-wise, Inconspicuous, 1 wise (player choice)
Traits: 1 pt: Self-effacing, Subservient
Hawker 5 yrs 10 +1 M Movers, Toilers, Pariah, Heroes Skills: 4 pts: Conspicuous, Haggling, Inconspicuous, Falsehood
Traits: 1 pt: Sly
Trader1 8 yrs 25 +1 M Movers, Toilers, Pariah Skills: 6 pts: Slippery Bargaining*, Intimidation, Deal-wise, Criticize*
Traits: 2 pts: Impatient with others, Merciless to Your Lessers
Accountant2 8 yrs 25 +1 M Machers, Movers, Toilers Skills: 4 pts: Accounting, Administration, Money-wise
Traits: 1 pt: Organized, Penny-wise
Notary2 5 yrs 10 +1 M Movers, Toilers, Pariah Skills: 4 pts: Rule of Law, Calligraphy, Illuminations, Calligraphy
Traits: 1 pts: Seal of the High Hobb
Burgher3 8 yrs 30 +1 M Movers, Toilers, Pariah Skills: 4 pts: Guild-wise, Administration, Rhetoric, Investment-wise
Traits: 2 pts: Esteemed, Oppressive
Burgher Meister4 10 yrs 50 +1 M Movers, Toilers, Pariah Skills: 2 pts: General; 2 pts: Oratory, Extortion
Traits: 2 pts: Cruel, Feared, Pompous
1: Requires Hawker 2: Requires Underling 3: Requires Trader, Accountant or Macher 4: Requires Burgher, MeisterMacher or Shipping Magnate
Creators of Stuff! The other ruling class, because they hold the honored secrets of making stuff.
Lifepath Time Res Stat Leads Born Macher 7 yrs 8 — Merchants, Movers, Toilers, Heroes, Pariah Skills: 4 pts: General; 2 pt: Mark-Kraft, Haggling
Traits: 2 pts: Mark of the Macher
Apprentice 6 yrs 10 +1 P Merchants, Movers, Toilers, Heroes, Pariah Skills: 4 pts: Mending, Blacksmith, Carpentry, Tanner, Potter, Cooper
Traits: 2 pts: Broken-In, Back-Breaking Labor
Macher1 6 yrs 15 +1 M Toilers, Pariah Skills: 8 pts: Geometry Training, Machers-wise, Materials-wise, Tools-wise, White-smithing, Social-Squirming*
Traits: 2 pts: Machenhanden
MeisterMacher2 10 yrs 40 +1 M/P Merchants, Movers, Toilers, Pariah Skills: 7 pts: Engineer, Intimidation, Mason, Criticize*, Clockwork-Kraft*
Traits: 2 pts: Exalted, Contempt for Lessers
Warkrafter2 6 yrs 20 +1 M/P Merchants, Toilers, Heroes Skills: 5 pts: Attiliator, Armorer, Weaponsmith, Carpentry, Etching
Traits: 2 pts: Sadistic
Shipkrafter2 8 yrs 30 +1 M Toilers, Pariah Skills: 4 pts: Shipkraft, Sail-making, Sea-wise
Traits: 1 pts: -
Inventor3 8 yrs 30 +1 M Toilers, Pariah Skills: 4 pts: Invention*, Ugly Truth
Traits: 3 pts: Warped, Tinkerer
1: Requires Apprentice 2: Requires Macher 3: Requires MeisterMacher
Stuff can’t just sit around. These guys see to that. Caravaneers, shippers, haulers, etc.
Lifepath Time Res Stat Leads Born on the Move 4 yrs 5 — Machers, Toilers, Pariah Skills: 4 pts: General; 1 pt: Haggling
Traits: 2 pts: Mark of the Mover
Courier 3 yrs 5 +1 P; Toilers, Heroes, Pariah Skills: 4 pts: Sprinting Training, Streetwise, Inconspicuous,
Traits: 1 pt: “Don’t shoot the messenger!”, Fleet of Foot
Grunter 6 yrs 8 +1 P Toilers, Heroes, Pariah Skills: 3 pts: Wagon-wise, Cargo-wise, Road-wise
Traits: 1 pt: Lifting Heavy Things, Sweaty
Driver1 6 yrs 8 +1 M/P Toilers, Heroes, Pariah Skills: 3 pts: Driving, Animal Husbandry, Beast of Burden-wise
Traits: 1 pts: Screaming, Foul-mouthed
Caravaneer2 10 yrs 25 +1 M Merchants, Toilers, Pariah Skills: 5 pts: Orienteering, Caravan-wise, Intimidation, Haggling, Trade Route-wise
Traits: 2 pts: Impatient
Seahobb 5 yrs 5 +1 P Toilers, Heroes, Pariah Skills: 3 pts: Rigging, Seamanship, Sea-wise
Traits: 2 pts: Sea Legs
Ship's Captain3 12 yrs 20 +1 M Merchants, Toilers, Pariah Skills: 3 pts: Command, Navigation, Port-wise, Pirate-wise,
Traits: 2 pts: Protective of Cargo, Discreet
Shipping Magnate4 15 yrs 45 +1 M Merchants, Toilers Skills: 3 pts: Trade Route-wise, Appraisal, Cargo-wise
Traits: 1 pts: Shrewd, Uncompassionate
1: Requires Grunter or Underling 2: Requires Driver or Accountant 3: Requires Seahobb 4: Requires Burgher, Shipkrafter or Ship's Captain
When your merit is in the red, the Amercers indenture you until you can work it off. Toilers produce nothing, sell nothing, have nothing. All they do is toil on others’ behalf.
Lifepath Time Res Stat Leads Born to Toil 8 yrs 3 -1 M/P Movers, Pariah Skills: 3 pts: General
Traits: 2 pts: Broken, Tasting the Lash
Dirt Farmer 8 yrs 3 +1 M Movers, Pariah Skills: 2 pts: Farming, Mending
Traits: 2 pts: Gruel Eater, Sick of Gruel
Salt 8 yrs 3 +1 P Movers, Pariah Skills: 2 pts: Rowing, Seamanship
Traits: 1 pts: Tasting the Lash, Cowering, Whinging
Beast-Tender 8 yrs 3 +1 M Movers, Pariah Skills: 4 pts: Animal Husbandry, Herd-wise, Climbing, Singing or Musical Instrument
Traits: 1 pts: -
Digger 4 yrs 3 +1 P Movers, Pariah Skills: 2 pts: Ditch Digging
Traits: 1 pts: Grumbler, Back Breaking Labor
Miner1 6 yrs 3 +1 P Movers, Heroes, Pariah Skills: 3 pts: Mining, Tunnel-wise, Climbing
Traits: 2 pt: Tasting the Lash, Dust in the Lungs, Enjoys Tight Spaces or Claustrophobic
Servant 4 yrs 4 +1 M Merchants, Machers, Pariah Skills: 2 pts: Inconspicuous, Etiquette, Soothing Platitudes
Traits: 1 pts: Mind-Numbing Work, Speak Only When Spoken To
Trapper 5 yrs 3 +1 M/P Machers, Movers, Pariah Skills: 4 pts: Trap-kraft*, Prey-wise, Stealthy, Tracking
Traits: 1 pt: -
1: Requires Grunter or Digger
The mighty, unstoppable, indefatigable goblin warriors! And guardsmen.
SETTING NAME NOTES:
Lifepath Time Res Stat Leads Shieldbearer 3 yrs 5 +1 M Merchants, Movers, Toilers, Pariah Skills: 5 pts: Conspicuous, Intimidation, Shield Training, Heraldry
Traits: 1 pt: Self-important
Phalanx1 5 yrs 7 +1 P Merchants, Movers, Toilers, Pariah Skills: 5 pts: Spear, Falsehood, Formation Fighting, Dancing
Traits: 1 pt: Running (Away)
Crossbowman 6 yrs 7 +1 P Machers, Toilers, Pariah Skills: 4 pts: Stealthy, Ambush-wise, Crossbow, Mending
Traits: 1 pt: Alert
Plunderer 4 yrs 12 +1 M Movers, Toilers, Pariah Skills: 3 pts: Scavenging, Plunder-wise, Foraging
Traits: 2 pts: Merciless, Stubborn
Bounder 7 yrs 6 +1 P Movers, Toilers, Pariah Skills: 6 pts: Riding, Borderlands-wise, Spear, Hunting, Foraging, Stealthy
Traits: 2 pts: Discretion (is the better part of valor), Keen Eyes
Hornblower2 6 yrs 10 +1 M Merchants, Toilers, Pariah Skills: 4 pts: Horn, Poetry, Oratory, Riding
Traits: 1 pt: Pompous
Taskmaster3 6 yrs 10 +1 M/P Movers, Toilers, Pariah Skills: 3 pts: Intimidation, Whip, Toiler-wise, Torture, Ugly Truth
Traits: 1 pt: Where There's A Whip, Schadenfreude
Order-keeper 6 yrs 10 +1 P Movers, Toilers, Pariah Skills: 8 pts: Intimidation, Graft-wise, Brawling, Interrogation, Burgh-wise, Spear, Armor Training
Traits: 2 pts: Scowling, Strength in Numbers
Amercer4 10 yrs 25 +1 M Merchants, Toilers, Pariah Skills: 5 pts: Rule of Law, Amercement, Appraisal, Ugly Truth, Extortion
Traits: 2 pts: Tenacious Trader, Amenable to Other Options
1: Requires Shieldbearer, Underling or Apprentice 2: Requires Shieldbearer or Seahobb 3: Requires Digger or any two Toiler or Hero LPs 4: Requires Order-keeper or Notary
Those with positive merit who don’t serve any stuff-based purpose. Philosophers, performers and the heretical Altruists.
SETTING NAME NOTES:
Lifepath Time Res Stat Leads Philosopher1 15 yrs 5 +1 M Any Skills: 1 pt: General; 5 pts: Philosophy, Strategy Games, History, 1 Craftsman skill, 1 Wise
Traits: 2 pts: Well-read, Befuddled, Pipe-smoker
Author 8 yrs 3 &mdash Mover, Toiler Skills: 5 pts: Mark-kraft*, Composition, Poetry, Playwright
Traits: 2 pts: Tolerated, Tall Tale Teller
Actor 8 yrs 3 &mdash Mover, Toiler Skills: 3 pts: Acting, Mending, Falsehood
Traits: 1 pts: Dramatic
Fortune-Teller 10 yrs 7 +1 M Merchant, Mover, Toiler Skills: 4 pts: Fortune-Telling, Astrology, Ugly Truth, Falsehood
Traits: 2 pts: Superstitious, Mysterious, The Sight
Altruist3 5 yrs 10 +1 M Merchant, Mover, Toiler Skills: 3 pts: General; 1 pt: Needy-wise,
Traits: 2 pts: Altruist, Kind
Gods-Bringer 6 yrs 6 +1 M Mover, Toiler Skills: 6 pts: Doctrine, Suasion, Ritual, Soothing Platitudes, Ugly Truth, Gods-wise
Traits: 2 pts: Divinely Inspired, Barely Tolerated, Faithful
Auslander 6 yrs 10 +1 M,P Any Skills: 2 pts: General; 5 pts: Foreign Languages, Outlands-wise, Foreign History, Etiquette
Traits: 2 pts: Auslander, Sensible
1: May not be second lifepath. 2: Requires the character has 60 or more RPs from previous LPs
- Short, Green & Knobbly - Of diminutive stature, with a healthy green skin tone, goblins are far from the human ideal of beauty. Their features are exaggerated – disproportionately long limbs, big feet and pointy parts which are half comical and half macabre.
- Cunning – Char – Goblins don’t value might or even moral correctness so much as raw guile. Tricking someone is deeply pleasurable for a Goblin in its own right.
- Mercenary – DT – Goblins society, more explicitly than most, is based on trade. Unlike Dwarves who want stuff for the sake of having it, goblins enjoy the getting just as much as the having. Besides, more stuff means you’re better than others, and being better is about the only security one can hope for. And of course, one doesn’t get stuff by being passive. Add a 4th belief: Always Haggle.
- Bad Taste – Char – Just because they’re acquisitive doesn’t mean they have any style. Goblins prefer ostentation to nuance. Bling, bling!
- Bravado – C-O – Goblins talk a good game, but when it comes down to it, they’re wormy little jerks who will turtle if pushed. This is a call-on for Intimidation, Haggling and Conspicuous, but it also increases Hesitation due to Fear by 1.
- Sniveling – Char – It would be wrong to say there’s no shame in begging in goblin society. Indeed, invoking and displaying shame is precisely the point. It says, “I have less merit than you! Please don’t squish me like the cockroach I am!” Begging and crying in the face of your superiors is just good form, as any goblin-mother will tell you.
- Clever-Kraft – DT – Goblins create some of the oddest, yet also oddly impressive items around. If Dwarves consider their works Art, Goblins seem to think theirs no less for being Kraft. This trait gives them access to a number of special goblin skills.
- Atravieso – DT – from the CharBu.
- Machenhanden – DT – Round up skill roots for Craftsman skills.
- Tenacious Trader – DT – As the Tenacious trait (from the CharBu) but only for Haggling.
- Impatient with Others – Char – This goblin has no time for you. You’re a distraction, and you ought to go away, unless you can prove you’re somehow worth his time. But you can’t. So just go away already.
- Tinkerer – DT – as the Dwarf trait.
- Broken-In – DT – CharBu again.
- Near-Sighted – DT – Used to working with miniscule gears and cogs, clockworkers lose a bit of their distance vision. +2 Ob for Perception tests beyond a few paces. (Of course, the goblins make a fine array of spectacles and stranger ocular devices, if you can afford them.)
- Ingrained Methods – C-O – Goblin kraftsmen train ceaselessly at their chosen kraft. This is a call-on for one Craftsman skill of your choice.
- Scavenger – C-O – CharBu.
- Merciless to Your Lessers – Char - Sort of like Humility Before Your Betters, but the other way around.
- Mark of ... (Char/DT) - Goblin society, while quite chaotic is also strangely rigid. It's cetainly not unheard of for a Merchant to become a Mover or vice versa, but their original lot in life is readily apparent to other goblins they meet. This grants a 1D reputation with the group into which the goblin was born.
- Sly (C-O) - A true merchant knows that people only buy stuff after they've already bought your story. This trait is a call-on for Falsehood when trying to convince a prospective buyer of the "true" worth of your wares.
- Exalted (DT) - Earning the title of MeisterMacher is no small thing. Indeed, your seal will appear on everything that comes out of your workshop (provided your idiotic apprentices remember to stamp it on!). This trait grants a 1D reputation in a group that would typically purchase your krafts.
- Feared (DT) - The Burgher Meisters rule with iron fists, and the rattle of their displeasure can be felt for leagues. They gain a free 2D Infamous reputation in their Burgh.
- Screaming (C-O) - Rage-filled drivers learn very quickly that kicking their beasts is a bad idea, because, usually, the animal is worth more than they are. Yet, they must find some way to vocalize their dissatisfaction with a headstrong team of beasts, and vocalize they do. This is a call-on for Conspicuous or Intimidation.
- Shrewd (DT) -
- Gruel Eater (DT) - As Iron Stomach.
- Schadenfreude (DT) - As Dreadful.
- Strength In Numbers (DT) - Goblins are cowards to the last, but they don't like to admit it, least of all to each other. When in the presence of two or more allies, this trait negates the Hesitation penalty from the Bravado trait.
- Well-read (C-O) - Philosophers are bibliophiles by nature, and there's almost no limit to the facts and details that fill their minds to brimming. This is a call-on for Research and one knowledge skill of the player's choice.
- Clockwork-Kraft* – The knowledge of manufacturing devices that operate on clockwork. While clocks themselves are most common, all manner of contraptions can be devised using the mechanics of cogs, wheels, gears and springs.
- Slippery Bargaining* – Goblins are vicious traders. Being just about impossible to pin down, they can give even the most stentorious Dwarf a run for his money. Acts like Haggling.
- Criticize* – Nothing drives down value like harsh criticism. Whether it’s, “You call that a horse?! Its hooves are cracked, its back is bowed…it’s just glue waiting to happen!” or something a little more personal (“You lousy excuse for an apprentice!”), the Criticize skill does the duties of Appraisal and Ugly Truth.
- Mark-Kraft – This is the Goblin art of reading/writing.
- Social-Squirming* – Exploiting those lesser while sucking up to your betters. This is the wriggly technique of Goblin Etiquette, Soothing Platitudes, Intimidation and Extortion.
- Invention* – The madness of Goblin inventors is near-legendary. Using this skill, they create designs of Byzantine detail, from which they can produce all the widgets, gadgets and wonders of Goblindom.
Goblin civilization, inasmuch as it is civilized, is built on the peculiar concept of Merit. The short version that outsiders can understand is that Merit is a measure of social status, based on wealth. Some have gone so far as to call it a plutocracy, and, while not entirely false, it doesn't give the whole picture.
Amongst goblins themselves, Merit reflects not only how much stuff you have, but also how much potential for stuff-having you have and, furthermore, to what degree you can convince others of both. Deceit, after all, is a cardinal virtue amongst hobbs. As long as one's Merit remains in the black, all is well. They are considered productive members of society who can go on licking boots and kicking their inferiors. Should one's Merit slide into the red however, the Amercers and Order-keepers will shortly be knocking on one's door. Ceremoniously, they cite the offender's debts and summarily carry him off to join the Toilers, where he will be given the chance to rehabilitate his Merit through indentured servitude. In theory, anyway.
Beginning Merit is equal to 1/2 the Resources Exponent, rounded down. This number is modified through the following:
- Add one for each die of Affiliation and Reputation related to trade.
- Does the goblin have a Haggling or Slippery Bargaining Exponent of 5 or more? Add one.
- Add one if any of the following lifepaths have been taken: Trader, Caravaneer, Shipwright, Amercer.
- Add one for each of the following lifepaths: Burgher Meister, MeisterMacher, Shipping Magnate.
- Subtract one for each of the following lifepaths: Altruist and Auslander.
- Subtract one if the character has spent any time as a Toiler.
By spending a Fate Point, a goblin may FoRK his Merit into Circles, Resources or Haggling tests.
(More to come on Merit later. This is a rough sketch of where I'm going with it.)